Monday, August 26, 2013

At the end of the day

Nate uses the phrase "at the end of the day" all.the.time.  Maybe every other sentence.  I make fun of it to him, to others, as often as possible.  But, at the end of the day, it's a phrase that comes in handy.

At the end of the day, my Grammy was surrounded by family.  My younger siblings had seen her a week or two before.  My older brother was able to introduce his newest daughter - the youngest of the four great-grandchildren.  My great-aunts sat by her bed and held her hand.  Nate, Laura, Gavin and I flew up in time for one last visit mere hours before the end.

At the end of the day, Grammy had an incredibly well-attended wake and funeral.  The funeral was just amazing.  The number of people there, and the beautiful things my brothers, cousin, father, great-aunt and great-uncle said.  Over half of my Grammy's 28 nieces and nephews were there.  Great-nieces and -nephews, and some great-greats, too.  Friends, friends of friends.  And, in an incredibly touching gesture, a bagpiper piping music up over the sand dunes in the place she loved best.

At the end of the day...
grammy