Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Que Sera, Sera

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.


I have been avidly watching the Olympics all week. I'm hooked. I enjoy the sports, in all their randomness. Like so many others I become an expert in badminton, rowing, beach volleyball, gymnastics and water polo every four years. But even more than the actual sports, I love the special interest stories on the athletes and their families.

I watch the moms pour their hearts out about their children. So much love. So much support. Moms who watched their children grow from precocious toddlers to world class athletes. I wonder at what point those moms and dads realized their child was so spectacularly talented?

So I watch the young men and women representing our great nation, and wonder if my child might one day fly off to the host nation to compete. Will my child stand proud on a podium receiving a medal reflecting years of hard work?


20120731-214740.jpg

Laura is a blossoming personality. She loves to run and jump and mother her dollies. She's growing up so fast, already asking to drive. Sometimes I wonder what's in store for Laura, for Gavin, for me... But in the end, the future's not ours to see.

Que Sera, Sera.

Pouring my heart out