Monday, September 24, 2012

Girl Dad

Nate and Laura were up early Saturday morning, sitting on the porch with the windows thrown wide open so they could hear the music playing through the TV as they watched the world go by.

Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance with Somebody came pouring through the speakers, inviting a father to dance with his daughter.  Their peals of laughter (and terrible singing) brought me downstairs.  I quietly watched from the doorway, and twirled Laura and tossed her in the air.

[caption id="attachment_1738" align="aligncenter" width="224"] Twirling at the farm stand on Saturday[/caption]

Hours later, with both children in bed and a bottle of wine open on the coffee table, Nate opened his heart about this morning.

I didn't think I would like being a girl dad so much.  There's just something I could never have anticipated about it. 

And yet here we both are, drowning in tutus and PRINCESS and tiaras and necklaces and dolls and tea parties.

We were dancing this morning and it hit me all of a sudden: this could be it.  This could be the song Laura and I dance to at her wedding.  There isn't much time left.

In an odd way, he's right: there isn't much time left.  Laura is forming the memories that will shape her and her relationships right now.  When Laura is all grown up, what will she remember from childhood.  What will she think when she hears certain songs?  Will she remember one sunny morning, dancing  to Whitney Houston on the front porch with her daddy?  I hope so.

[caption id="attachment_1739" align="aligncenter" width="224"] Dancing in the street on a Friday night[/caption]