Thursday, September 27, 2012

Useful

Gavin was home sick from school yesterday.  Which was frustrating, since we pay so much for day care and they are so quick to send kids home.  I get it: germs.  No mom wants their kids getting sick from the snotty kid at school.  Well, so far I am two for two - my kids are the snotty kids.  And I swear, they are hardly ever actually sick!  I blame over-active adenoids.  At any rate, Gavin was home and I was home with him.  Using leave I don't have.  I emailed my boss first thing:

I'm sure I'll completely waste the day doing nothing useful, but I'm home with Gavin. I'll check email if anything comes up.

A day doing nothing useful.  But what is useful?  Cleaning, folding laundry, pushing a vacuum?  Finding a better home for the towels than the guest room floor?  Ironing?  Decorating the house for fall?  I could have done all of those things and more.  I could have mopped, washed windows, weeded the "garden."  I could have been so very useful.

Instead, I snuggled with my little buddy in bed.  I played peekaboo and patty cake till my sides hurt from laughing with happy little Gavin.  I rolled on the (unvacuumed) floor, to give Gavin a good role model for tummy time.  I sang silly songs.  I rocked to my child sleep.  I spent my day as a mom, and nothing more.  Not a friend, wife, coworker, house manager.  Just a mom.

So did I do anything useful yesterday?  I think I did a whole lot of useful. 

Pouring my heart out.