Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Princess Laura

I'm not sure exactly when it happened; when my house turned into ALL THE PRINCESS!  It must have started off slowly.  We introduced Laura to a few Disney Classics.  Beauty and the Beast.  Cinderella.  The Little Mermaid.  Laura loved the movies.  Loved reading her princess books.  But nothing much more.

Then we started seeing the tutus creep in.  Every few days, a tutu on after school.  A magic wand.  An abracadabra.  It was still a slow progression.  Still manageable.  We could still get Laura to wear other clothing, speak of other topics, play other games.  But suddenly - seemingly overnight - a little bit of princess was not enough.   

I'd like to blame the Nanny (grandma) who watches her two days a week.  I'd like to blame the three days Laura spent with two other little princesses girls while day care was closed.  But really, I have no one to blame but myself. 

For I, too, am a princess.  You might not be able to see my tiara, but it's there hiding underneath my conservative hair.  You might not be able to see my tutu, but it's there hiding underneath my Loft skinny jeans.  You definitely can see my princess shoes - they are shiny silver with rhinestones.  But even they are disguised in a modest ballet flat.

[caption id="attachment_1719" align="alignnone" width="224"] Note the shoes![/caption]

Laura is less subtle.  She wears her tiara (and beads) whenever we are home or in the car, taking the tiara off only for school.  Laura wears her tutu over her shorts, under her jammies, outside, inside, at the grocery store, at the playground, with sneakers, barefoot, whenever, wherever.  And her princess shoes?  Well, you can spot Laura wearing my silver flats whenever she can wrangle them from my princess feet.

[caption id="attachment_1720" align="alignnone" width="224"] While playing soccer[/caption]

Laura had a tantrum last night when we forced her to take off the party dress (and tutu underneath) that she put on after school in order to put on pajamas. 
How can I be a pwincess without my pwetty dress on!
I snuggled her onto my lap and hugged her.  I've felt exactly the same, only too recently. 

[caption id="attachment_1721" align="alignnone" width="224"] Just before jammie time[/caption]

Laura, you are always a princess.  You will akways be a princess.  No matter the clothes you wear, the style of your hair, the house you live in.  All little girls are princesses.  Always.  And even princesses have to take off their tiaras every now and then.  Laura, you are my princess.  Never stop being a princess.

Pouring my heart out