Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chore Chart

Laura's biggest challenge in life is listening.  We ask her to do something.  She doesn't. We warn her about making choices.  She ignores us.  We follow-through with a threatened punishment, and all of a sudden she loses it and can't believe this is happening to her.

And last night, after a really bad trip to the grocery store, she said it.

I hate you, Mommy.  I hate everything and I hate you.

That went straight to my heart like a dagger.  It stung me to silence.

Laura, I get angry with you sometimes, but I always love you.  Always.  Right this minute, I am hurt and angry... but I still love you.

Needless to say, Laura did not get a star in the "listening" box of her chore chart.  The chore chart - a strategy we enacted Sunday evening after a really bad day of listening.  Yesterday was her first day, so I wasn't expecting her to really understand earning the stars for her chart... but I was still pretty sad with how poorly her listening was.

We're just trying out the chore chart for now.  Experimenting to see how it works.  I have a chalkboard in the hall, so right now it has a grid on it with each day of the week, and the four chores she is expected to do each day:

Listen
Eat
Feed Ries
Tidy

Yesterday, she got three stars.  At the end of the week, we'll review the chart to see if she earned a DVD of "The Princess and the Frog," which is currently balanced on top of the chalkboard as incentive.  We'll see how it goes.  If we have success, I might be in the market for something more permanent.  If not... I'm not sure what to do.