Thursday, April 4, 2013

Old School Blogging: April!

I had fun with this last month, so I'm doing it again!

1. How did your husband pop the big question?

How was he supposed to?  Or how did he?  He planned to ask on a sunset hot air balloon ride - something I have always wanted to do.  He found a place in Virginia, had it all planned... and it was too windy at the last minute.  He kept waiting for the wind to die down, in hopes that we'd still get our balloon ride, rather than ask at any of the gorgeous wineries we'd been at all day.  So when we got the final word on the ride (not happening), he asked in the middle of our 4pm dinner - in an empty restaurant.  I swear I nodded "yes" before I grabbed the ring!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2. What are the three most surprising things about married life?

When I said that vow "in good times and in bad," I didn't quite realize how soon we might be tested on the bad.  And yet, when we came back from our honeymoon to find that Nate's company had closed overnight, we were able to face it unfazed - this was our first "in bad," and we were fine.  We are fine.

Our priest said in his sermon that from the moment we said "I do," we were a family.  Those words went straight to my heart.  We were each other's family from the very moment we were married. 

While we are our own family, and I treasure that feeling, the families we grew up with are right there behind us.  Because you don't just marry your spouse - you marry an entire family.  And if you thought they drove you nuts before... well, good luck - they're your family now too!

couple

3. How did you find out you were pregnant for the first time?

I wasn't late yet, but we were definitely trying for a baby, and I just felt... different.  My period wasn't late, but I took a pregnancy test anyway.  Two very pink lines later I knew I wasn't crazy!

4. How did you choose your first baby's name?

I have known I would have a "Laura" since I first read the Little House books, starting in second grade.  Nate and I had been dating about six months, when he shyly asked, "What do you think of the name Laura? I'd love a little girl named Laura."  I laughed and asked when we could make that happen!  (At ages 20 and 24, I'm glad we waited a little longer before getting our Laura!)

5. Describe where you see yourself in 10 years from now...

2023.  Wow.  That seems really far away!  I'll have a 13 year old, an 11 year old, and hopefully another around age 8?  Nate would say "and another around age 5 or 6!"  Help.  We'll be in our forever house with more than one bathroom and some closets!  I'll be in the thick of things with Laura being a teenager, so in ten years I see myself clutching a mug of coffee and a bottle of wine.  I'll be helping with homework, dropping off, picking up, carpooling, maybe in minivan #2 (unless they invent something cooler)... and probably still working, too. 

6. Describe how you find bliss, either with words or images.

Nothing is more blissful to me than the ritual of brewing and drinking tea.  I can't imagine anything more relaxing than pouring the steaming water into my teacup, jiggling the teabag to help it steep, stirring in my sugar, smelling the Oil of Bergamot and finally taking that first sip.  Maybe if I'm doing that on a cool, sunny day with a book waiting patiently to be read.  Especially if that cool sunny day and book are on Cape Cod.  It's the little things in life :)