Monday, September 28, 2009

I should not have read this

Seriously, if I could travel through time, I would tell myself not to read this:
Not that the book was bad - on the contrary! I was thoroughly engrossed. On the other hand, this book was not something I should have been reading.

First of all, I'm in the middle of the semester. Any reading I do should be for class! This has been my rule since undergrad: No reading for fun during the semester! I've been really good at following this rule. Till now. Sigh... I got NO homework done this weekend. I wish I cared about classes a little more this semester. Guess I have other things on my mind? ;-)

Next. This book (not to be a spoiler or anything) deals with time travel. Which is a bit mind-boggling at times. I liked how the author explained it, and everything seemed to match up... as long as I don't think too hard about it. BUT the author also likens the time traveler's, um, ability? to epilepsy.

As the wife of an epileptic, this book was difficult for me to read. I could totally associate my life with Clare - I am always left behind, waiting. Waiting for the seizing to stop (grand mal, oh yeah!). Waiting for Hubby to wake up again. Waiting to get him cleaned up and out of sweaty clothes. Waiting to force-feed him some meds to help him feel better in the morning. Waiting till morning to inform him that he had another one (since he never remembers, since he only has them in his sleep). Waiting to fall asleep again after he's woken me up...

And didn't Hubby go and have a seizure WHILE I was staying up late reading the stupid book? It's been months since the last one. Sigh...

And (more spoiling), even worse, Clare suffers several miscarriages. Several. A few of them when she's fairly far along. I am soooo incredibly lucky to have never lost a child. But, as a pregnant and emotional woman, this was incredibly difficult to read. And then of course, they worry that the child will inherit the father's ability (or whatever). And I am terrified that Lulu will inherit the epilepsy! Doctors assured us that this is unlikely (in our situation). But still.

Did I really need to be thinking these things? Did I really need extra emotions running through my head? DID I???

Like I said before, it's a well-written book. Just don't read it if you feel like your life, in any way, resembles that of Clare's.