Wednesday, June 23, 2010

So what's next?

I graduated college in 2004 with a bachelor’s degree in art history. I heard a lot of people ask What are you going to do with THAT? Well, I had a five year plan. A good one, which would be completed in six simple steps.

I knew my undergrad grades weren’t good enough to get into grad school. So I had to work for a bit so that my “experience” would qualify me for whatever grad school I decided to apply to. And to work, I had to work for free. Because who hires someone with just a bachelor’s degree? But I also knew that internships lead to contacts, which lead to inside information on job openings, which leads to getting a job. A paid job.

So I got an internship. And it led to a job. Step one: check!

And that job led to a better job. Step two: check!

And then I got married to my college sweetheart. Step three: check!

And then I got into the graduate school of my choice, due to my impressive resume. Step four: check!

And then I had a baby. Step six (yes, I know I skipped a step): check!

And then I earned my master’s degree! I finished my last class today! Step five (see above): CHECK!

So I have completed my five-year plan (in a mere six years). Now what? Seriously. What do I do next?! Time for a new five-year plan?