Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Last Night

Last night, I astounded myself:

I actually got housework done.

Yup.  The work of the house.  Because even if you've clocked out, the work never ends.  And I had a lot of work to complete!  Laura is increasingly mobile.  And that means babyproofing.  Our house is a disaster of potential risks for a crawling - or walking! - baby.  DVDs in piles against the wall.  Electrical sockets.  Dog toys.  Wine racks.  Electrical cords galore...  And the worst part?  Our coffee table completely obstructs our view of Laura when she's playing on the floor.

So last night, I found a new home for the coffee table.  I damp-mopped the hardwood floors.  I vacuumed the heck out of the area rug.  I went through our DVD collection to weed out some losers.  I set up a play corner - just for Laura.  I cleaned and set-up the play pen (left over from a failed attempt at containing a puppy.)  I even put stuff away.

So just how did I find the time to pull off this feat?  I did not turn on the TV.  I did not turn on the laptop.  I did not blog.  I did not read blogs.  I did not tweet.  I did not chat on Facebook.  I did not even play Facebook Scrabble

It's amazing what you can get done when you stop fooling around.