Friday, October 1, 2010

How Tropical Storm Nicole Made My Day

(Or: How my new rain boots paid for themselves)
I have been doing the same commute every morning for the last (OMG) six years.  Wake up.Get dressed.Drive to train station.Park.Trudge to platform.Ride train.Rinse.Repeat.  For six years I have complained about the poor drainage in my little commuter parking lot during big rain storms.  I have been lamenting long days at the office with cold, wet feet.  And lately, I have been thinking that maybe those people wearing rain boots are pretty smart.

I joined the ranks of the smart commuters and bought myself some (really cute!) rain boots a few weeks ago.  Yesterday, I was able to wear them for the first time.  If the torrential rain brought to my region (thanks TS Nicole!) weren't enough of an excuse for rain boots, I don't know what would be!  The rain was INSANE.  Mini flash floods all around me.  But no matter the depths of the puddle, my toes stayed happy and warm inside The Boots.

Then I got to work.  I sat down for a relaxing day, with warm toes.  I was happily working away, doing what it is I do, when all of a sudden, the fire alarm started blaring.  After I peeled myself off the ceiling (it's a LOUD alarm), I calmly pulled on my rain boots, donned my rain coat and grabbed my trusty umbrella to head outside.  And I am so glad I did!

The rain was falling as hard and as fast as I have ever seen.  The umbrella was pretty much useless.  I felt like Forrest Gump during the monsoon:
forrest gump vietnam rain
But!  I was dry!  My toes were warm!  My rain boots paid for themselves in the 10 minute (false alarm) fire drill spent outside!  I looked adorable, and remained as cozy as can be.  And that's how Tropical Storm Nicole (and my new boots!)  made my day.