Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Quest for Fresh Basil

There is nothing more summery than the smell and taste of fresh basil.  Mmm... it smells so good...  But I have a confession: I suck at keeping basil plants alive.  It shouldn't be that hard.  Basil is a glorified weed that thrives in hot conditions!  And yet, I can't seem to manage it.
Oh, Basil!  How I love thee!
In previous years, I have tried to plant basil in pots on the porch.  They are outside, getting fresh air, and a nice balance of sun and shade.  But they don't tend to get a lot of water.  Being on a covered porch and all.  And seeing as I can't seem to remember to water them.  After a few weeks, my poor little plants are dried up corpses.

Other years, I have bought the little plastic boxes of "fresh" basil that is sold next to the pre-tossed salads in the produce section.  However, this basil is never fresh enough, and it never lasts more than a few days before getting wilty and gross.  Plus, doesn't it seem odd to pay that much for a weed?

For the last few weeks, I have walked past the little potted basil plants in the produce section that seem to promise indoor-friendly, fresh herbs.  I have been tempted.  I have picked up and put back down the little tubs with their plastic sleeve protecting the tender leaves.  I have wanted, decided better, then regretted.  So I finally bought one two weeks ago.

I was so proud!  I followed the directions on the sleeve to a T.  I kept the lower portion of the sleeve on the tub.  I watered from the bottom.  I snipped leaves to eat as well as to promote growth.  My little plant was thriving.  And then I took it off the window last night to clean under the dish it was sitting in.

That's when I noticed the furry, blue mold covering the surface of the dirt.  Another basil plant added to my list of failures.  I took out the scissors, snipped the stalks of the plant in one swoop, and hung it upside-down to dry; I dumped the molding soil and remaining vestiges of my failure into a pot on the porch.  It seems that the quest for fresh basil continues.  It shouldn't be this hard.