Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I never could have guessed

Phew, yesterday was fun! I have never guest-blogged before, so I was a little nervous. I hope you had a chance to peek at my post over at Stacey's, because it was about my most favoritest thing in the whole world!

Today I'd like to talk about something different. Baby food. In a million bajillion years, I never would have thought that I would feel the urge to make my own baby food. Never. I love to cook, but somehow I just didn't see baby food as my oeuvre.

Since Laura started eating baby food, I've been looking at the fruits and veggies Hubby and I eat a little differently. I look at zucchini and wonder if that's mashable (it is!). I wonder if Laura would like peaches (she does!). For a while, I thought that maybe I could try making my own here and there. But like most things, I decide I want to do something and then take a million years to just buckle down and try it.

For a while, I made excuses. Why would I want to go through the hassle of getting the food processor out and dirtied. Maybe, I thought, I would be more likely to just do it if I bought a really expensive baby food making tool. But then I realized, why would I buy what amounts to a food processor - that I would still have to make room for and clean - when I already have a really nice Cuisinart?!

So the other night, I broke out the baby cookbook a coworker had given (that I immediately cast away thinking "YEAH RIGHT"), and looked up the recipes for peaches.

Step 1: Steam peaches
Step 2: Remove skin
Step 3: Blend

Um. That's it? Surely there must be more to it.

Step 4: Serve within 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

Never mind. That's it. I can do this. And I did! I also made plums and peas. And I know from tasting them that MY peas are way better than anything Gerber could do. So I know I'll continue to buy the jarred stuff. I'm certainly not trying to make my own rice cereal (that one does have a lot of steps). But I know I will make at least some of Laura's food. It's kinda fun!