Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Motivation

I have to admit it. I'm having a real hard time finding motivation to get my work done. I come to work everyday (last week excluded!), and sit at my computer, and stare at the screen.

I stare and stare, and maybe read some blogs, and maybe play some FB scrabble with my parents. And just think about all the work I need to get done. And then 5:00 rolls around and I haven't done any of it. Like none at all. It's really getting to be a problem.

I believe in the philosophy of kaizen - taking one small step at a time to achieve larger goals. I've gotten away from this since Laura was born, and am now totally overwhelmed by all the things I need to do. Focusing on the larger picture is too scary for me, and I've shut down.

So yesterday, I made a list of little things that I need to do. Today I crossed one of those off my list. It feels really good to put a little check mark in the box next to the task. (Yes, I draw little boxes on my to-do lists). Tomorrow, I will work on another small task. Eventually, I'll finish the list and start a new one. This is the only way I know to get myself motivated again.

Have any other moms out there faced similar problems? Any tips for me to get back on track??