Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Day!

We had another snow day today.  Which is great when it actually snows and is pretty out and makes you want to curl up on the couch with hot cocoa and a good book, but not so great when it's another eight hours of leave you have to take from work just for ice overnight that melted by the time kids needed to get to school so it was a pretty pointless snow day.

On the other hand, Laura and I got to spend some quality time on the couch with the dog.  Laura loves her puppy.  If you couldn't tell.
So anyway, I tried to make my wasted day at home as productive as possible.  Laura was very cooperative with this: she napped for an hour and a half!  I put her down, sat on the couch and started to get settled in for some good awful daytime TV.  And then I picked myself up and found something more useful to do with my time.

I took myself down to the basement and hauled four years of Art History textbooks upstairs.  I plugged each ISBN code into www.sellusedbooks.com, and earned $200 and a whole cupboard of extra storage space.  I am not sure why I held onto the books for so long.  At first, I thought maybe I'd get a Masters degree in Art History, but once it was clear that I would not be going in that direction, I should have gotten rid of the books.  I guess sometimes it's hard to let go.

My grandmother is learning how hard it is to let go this week.  She is packing up the home she has lived in since 1953 and is moving into an assisted living facility.  It's the right move, and is likely long overdue.  But it's amazing how much a person accumulates in a house over nearly 60 years.  My mother and grandmother have been going back and forth over what can move with my grandmother, and what must be divvied up amongst the rest of the family.

I have to say, I am making out like a bandit with this move.  I am getting a gorgeous heirloom sideboard that I have wanted my entire life, as well as countless paintings, and some fun kitchen accessories.  My house is going to look spectacular once my parents can drive everything down to me.  But planning where to put all of my grandmother's things has me looking at my current belongings with a very critical eye.  I am getting rid of a ton of crap.  It might have taken me a few years to let go of my textbooks, but WOW.  It sure feels refreshing to get rid of unneeded stuff!