Friday, March 25, 2011

Balls

I've got balls.  Lots of balls.  I have lots of balls up in the air.  The juggling sort.  This is metaphorical, if you hadn't figured that out.

In real life, I can't juggle for shit.  That's how you know this is a metaphor.

I have lots of balls in the air right now, and so far I've been able to keep them all going round and round.  I haven't dropped any balls.  Yet.  But I can't shake this feeling that something is going to drop and soon.

There is just too much going on for me to keep hold of all the balls.  It would be really nice if I could just shuffle one or two of the balls out of my act.  But which balls would those be?

The house?  Certainly not.  It's a pigsty as it is.  I can't let it get any worse!  That ball stays in the air.

The husband?  No way.  I like him too much.  He's cute and he makes 2 or 3 slice and bake cookies for us to share almost every night.  There is no way I am letting go of a ball that makes me cookies!

The baby?  As if!  She is noisy and happy and ever present.  And that's the best part about her.  She gets into everything, which is why I am a fan of baby gates.  Even with two ear infections, she is cheerful.  Playing with Laura is relaxing.

So that leaves work.  Work where I have a whole separate juggling act going on.  I am managing these files and that project.  And don't forget to verify those details.  And what about the locations?  How could I forget to update the locations?  Did I remember to respond to that email?  Are all the emails printed out for the files?  Am I being polite enough to that coworker?  Can I have a cookie from the kitchen?  What else is on the to-do list?  Where on earth did I put my pencil?  Don't forget that meeting!  And that other meeting!  And all that imaging that is piling up!  Don't forget to completely reorganize everything to make things easier to find.

I think the work ball is the one giving me the most trouble.  But it's also a really important ball to keep up in the air.  I have a great, understanding boss.  But I can't let her down.  I can ask for help, sure.  But I'm not even sure at this point what I would most like help with.  I guess I'm just starting to realize how many balls I have up in the air, and that number is daunting.  I look up at all the balls swirling over my head, and I get dizzy with the movement.  I'll keep all those balls going.  I'm just not sure how.

It's going to be a very busy summer.