Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lent: The Humbled Edition

Last Wednesday, I wrote about my Lenton sacrifice and how awesome I was as a mom, wife, coworker and Catholic.  And then God smote me down for my hubris.  Bragging gets your nowhere.  This week has been a snotty, poopy, pukey mess of tears, worry and frustration.  Here I am, a humbled woman, to confess that my Lenton sacrifice has not been so easy in week three.

For Lent this year, I gave up being frustrated with my daughter.  That's all well and good when she's healthy and I have nothing on which to actually base my frustration.  When she's happy and healthy, sure. When she's easy amused and content to play in the family room by herself while I do chores and prepare dinner, sure.  Then, I can give up being frustrated with her minor antics and start being more patient. 

But when my precious daughter is sick?  Going through diaper after diaper?  And when the doctors seem dismissive to a worried mom?  My worry turns to frustration.  Here is me:

Laura!  Why won't you drink this pedilyte?  What if I put it in a sippy?  What about a sippy with a straw?  What about a bottle?  What about a big girl cup?

Laura!  Why won't you eat anything other than toast?  You have to eat something!  You have lost half a pound in the last week.  You were small to begin with!

Laura!  Why are you fussing now?  OMG, you want MORE toast?  Could I interest you in some probiotic-enhanced yogurt?  AGH! You are obsessed with toast!

Laura!  Stop fussing at the dog to get your toast back from her.  You gave her this toast, she ate it..  That means it's all gone.  That's right (wiggles hands) all gone.  You can't get the bread back from the dog - she has eaten it.  No, I'm not giving you more toast just so you can give it to the dog.

So yeah, I might have gotten a little frustrated with Laura because of the situation.  I am just so worried.  And clearly, worrying leads to frustration.  Which Nate says is why he'll live longer than me (although I don't agree that Mr. Obsessed-with-salt is living to 100 like he thinks).  Are we the only married couple who debates at length who will die first?  Just us?  Ookay then...  Back to Lent.  I gave up being frustrated with Laura.  However, I am learning that sacrifice is (and should be!) hard.  All I can do is focus on the cause of my frustration - worry - and try to make it better. 

However, it would be really nice if Laura could be healthy for a few days, at least!