Monday, March 21, 2011

Crusty

Laura and I had quite the weekend.  It started off well enough - our flight into Boston Logan took off on time and arrived 20 minutes early.  Laura and I zoomed through BWI; we totally aced the security line.  This was especially impressive since Laura and I had to get a stroller, a duffel bag, and two purses through the scanner while we walked through the magnetometer with our shoes off.  Did you know that babies have to take their shoes off too?  Neither did I.  Anyway, we made it to Boston just fine. 

From the airport, we made it just fine to my parent's house.  Laura slept part of the ride, and then stayed up playing sweetly till 10 pm, while I visited with my family.  It was pretty lovely. 

Saturday, Laura woke up happily enough.  Except that she couldn't open her eyes.  They were glued shut with yellow goop.  Oook... this has happened before, I'll just hold a cold compress to her eyes and everything will be fine.  Except that it wasn't fine.  Her eyes got goopier and crustier every hour that passed. 

My mom, dad and I finally looked at each other and decided it was time to take Laura to the clinic.  I found a CVS minute clinic near my parents, and we buckled her up for the ride.  Fifteen minutes later, we realized that CVS can't see anyone under 24 months old.  Laura is 14 months.  Strike one.  So I called Laura's pediatrician to see if they could do anything over the phone.  Apparently, the doctor can't do anything over the phone for a child under 24 months either.  Strike two.  So then, my mom found a pediatric clinic.  We called before heading blindly off - good thing: they wouldn't take my insurance.  Strike three.  So we finally called the local ER to see how long a wait time they were experiencing.  The nurse thanked me for calling ahead, and then told me that the wait was several hours and that I should avoid bringing a baby at all costs.  Strike four.

So I gave Laura some children's Zyrtec and kept her at my parents.  Her eyes were even worse yesterday (Sunday), but what could we do but get back on the plane?  Our flight home took off and landed on time, but was not nearly as seamless as our flight up.  We were seated next to a very cranky man, who wanted no part of sitting beside a healthy baby, much less a kid with oozing, crusty eyes!  Frankly, I didn't really want to be sitting with us!

So Laura and I are home from school and work today.  We have an appointment at 11:45.  I just hope my poor little girl is feeling better (and looking better) soon.