Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sound Bites

Laura is home from school today, which should be obvious given her day yesterday.  So far we are puke free, and have only gone through two outfits.  So far.  This whole not going to school thing has been rough on my sick leave.  Thankfully, I have a wonderfully understanding boss, as well as a husband with a somewhat flexible schedule.

I say somewhat, because while he has been able to work from home this afternoon, it was not for long enough for me to hop a train to DC, work, and hop a train back to Maryland in time for Nate's evening appointments.  So I am working from home this afternoon, upstairs, while Nate entertains Laura downstairs.  But since our house is fairly small, I've been able to overhear much of their conversations:

Nate: Laura, that is Daddy's calculator!  It helps me count.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Someday you will be able to count just like that, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  But you have to learn to count on your own before you can use the calculator.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5!

Nate: No! Don't pull my laptop off table!  Not cool, Laura.  Not cool.

Nate: What is it that you want?!  Water?  No.  Juice?  No.  I don't know what you want!
Me: TRY SOME TOAST! (as I yell down the stairs)
Nate: You want some toast?
Laura: Mmm...
Nate: No! Reese! Don't eat the toast!

Nate: Ok, let's read a book.  Go pick out a book.
Laura: Ok!
Nate: Ok!

It's been amusing to hear Nate get so frustrated when clearly the kid wants another piece of toast and not that stinking pedialyte.  And so sweet to hear them learning and playing together.  And as for me?  Not my most productive day.  But not my least productive day either!