Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I spoke my mind

I dropped Laura in the Infant/Toddler room Monday morning, for lack of knowing what else to do.  That's where she was when I picked her up.  I didn't have a chance to talk to the owner or director, so I left.  Quietly wondering what was going on.  Laura was still in the I/T room last night. 

"Is Laura actually moving to the 2's this week?  Because she only has one more daycare day left in the week."
"Honestly, I don't have a clue.  They haven't told us anything."

Fantastic.  The teachers don't even know which children to expect each morning.  This is really well organized.

"Excuse me, Owner?  Is Laura moving to the 2's this week or not.  I haven't received any information, and I am pretty upset.  If she's moving, fine, just tell me what to do and what to expect."
"...didn't I call you this weekend?"
"No.  You did not.  Please tell me what on earth is going on."
"We reconfigured the room on Friday with the State.  They've decided it's a big enough area to keep Laura and her BFF till January when they both turn two.  She won't be moving afterall."

Pause to reflect on implications.  I'm still livid.  As a parent, I should have been better prepared for the move to the 2's to begin with.  I should have been informed by the state, as well as by the daycare as to the fate of my child.  When she was no longer moving, I should have been informed of that as well.  I deserve to be informed. 

I told all of this to the owner.  I stuck up for myself and my daughter.  I feel pretty good about this.  Last week I called the doctor and got my daughter on meds, this week I am mother, hear me roar.  Next week, I think I'll solve the budget crisis.

(On the other hand?  The new I/T configuration is really fabulous.  I wish it had been set up like that the whole time.  At least #2 will be able to enjoy it!)