Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It was time

I took down the Christmas tree last night, January 10th.  I couldn't very well take it down before January 6th, because (duh) Christmas isn't over yet!  And then this weekend got away from me, and I never got around to it.

And besides, Laura just loved the tree so much!  How could I start taking it down with her watching?  And... well, I just love having it up.

But it was time.  Christmas tree pick-up is scheduled for this week on our street.  And we're two weeks into January.  And, to be perfectly honest, the tree was looking a little bit droopy.  So I took it down.

Normally, the tree take-down makes me really sad.  I get testy and weepy going through the branches, removing ornaments and winding lights.  This year was different.  Maybe it was finding a weird mold on the tree skirt.  Maybe it was thinking of the tree stand as a water and food source for the mice.  Maybe I was just in the right place.  I didn't get testy.  I didn't get weepy.  It was a calm and quick affair, removing the decorations, taking inventory to make sure none were left hidden on the branches.  Nate hefted the tree onto the street, and that was that.

Now that the tree is down, we've regained a large section of our small family room.  While somewhat boring, the room feels "normal" again.  I feel as though a weight has been lifted.  Expectations have been removed.  It's a new year, and I'm ready to greet it.