Monday, September 27, 2010

Memories

My grandmother fought a long, hard battle with Alzheimers and finally sucumbed on Halloween 2007. I had not seen her in several months, at which point she did not know who I was – only that I was someone important. She was no longer able to walk, hold a fork, or speak.

But she could still smile. And when my grandfather told her to show me her beautiful engagement ring – which he had finally been able to afford for her that Christmas – she looked at me, beamed, and held out her hand.

My grandmother’s deterioration was slow for several years, with many doctors denying there was anything wrong. Those years were painful. All of us knowing that something was off, but unable to get the proper care. By the time she was diagnosed, she was beginning a rapid decline.

I choose to remember Grandma the last time I saw her – happily showing off the ring she so well deserved. I have never seen her happier.

Please take a moment to visit Magnolia Queen to learn about and help her cause.