Friday, September 17, 2010

Once you're wet...

Have you ever inserted yourself into someone else's story?  I have.

Several years ago, my mom took my sister, two cousins and me on a mini golf excursion.  It was our their annual fun day - the girls out with Auntie G.  Lunch, ice cream, and (of course!) mini golf.  It was a sort of gray-ish day, but that was fine.  It would mean a shorter wait for mini golf.  The skies got darker and darker as we they approached the mini golf place.  My mom paid for the round and we they headed off to the first hole.  No sooner had the golfing begun when the skies opened.  It was pouring down rain.  The few other golfers on the course ran for cover.  But my mom walked up to her ball, lined up and putted.  Because, after all,

"Once you're wet, you're wet!"

I love this story so much, and only wish I could have actually been a part of it.  I was fondly reminded of it last night, as the skies opened on the 1/4 mile walk to my car.  I found myself without an umbrella, soaking wet, in the stupidest shoes ever created.  There was no way I was running to my car in the stupid shoes, where I would still have arrived soaking wet.  So instead, I turned my face to the sky and revelled in the rain.  It was beautiful.