Friday, September 10, 2010

TV of my childhood



My brothers and I watched countless hours of Gilligan's Island when we were kids.  It was on in the afternoon, opposite Mr. Rogers.  And since my mother despises Mr. Rogers with every fiber of her being, bet you can guess which she turned the TV to!

And you might wonder, "Um. Gilligan's Island? Really?" Because people have asked me that question more times than I can remember.  But you know what?  We lived on a beach.  This was fantastic fuel for our Gilligan-inspired imaginings on the beach!

You might see a random brick pilfered from a lobster trap.  We saw a coconut radio.  You see beach chairs?  We saw palm-thatched huts.  We had HOURS of fun playing on the beach.  My older brother was always the professor.  I was usually Ginger and MaryAnn all at the same time.  My younger brother was Gilligan, because he was too little to do anything anyway.

So when my mom emailed me this YouTube mix of the Gilligan's Island theme set to the tune of Stairway To Heaven, I was rolling on the floor laughing and fondly remembering the beach of my childhood.

And you know what?  It was a very happy childhood.