Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The End of the World

Now that I've eaten my breakfast, I can tell you my dream last night.  I think it was a nightmare, but it was so beautiful at the same time... I was awestruck both in my dream and awake.  It was so beautiful, I did not realize how scary it was until I truly thought about it.

Hubby and I were at my parents' house, stargazing on a beautiful, late-summer Cape Cod night.  The crickets were chirping, and everything was perfect.
"Look!" exclaimed Hubby, "A nebula!  You probably don't even know what a nebula is."
"Um, of course I do.  You make me watch hours of Discovery Channel programming.  Look!  Another!"

I pointed to a quick burst of sparks where a star once twinkled.  The sparks fell, and the star was gone.
It happened to yet another star nearby - a burst of sparks and then nothing.
Pretty soon, the whole sky was filled with these bursting stars.  It almost looked like fireworks, except that as they sparks fell the sky was left a little darker.

The stars were exploding. 

It was the end of the world.

From here, my dream became twisted and convoluted, like dreams often do.  We wound up trudging through woods in some eternal daylight (since our own star, the Sun, was in the act of bursting).  We were dirty and tired, trying to get to Laura who was at the mall with my mother-in-law.  I'm not sure what happened next; maybe I woke up.

I wish I knew what this dream meant.  But since I waited to tell it till after breakfast, we can all rest easy that it won't come true.  So the world won't be ending anytime too soon.  You're welcome.