Monday, July 18, 2011

New Shoes, Feeling Sexy

If you read my post last Monday, I'm sure you could see that I... wasn't in the best place.  I'd eaten way more ice cream than anyone ever should - especially when that someone is lactose intolerant.  Cue: bloat.  None of my pants fit and I did not feel sexy at all.  Which completely goes against my New Year's Resolution of feeling sexy.  I didn't want to put numbers on a weight loss, or even a specific target of working out __ days a week or limiting calories to __ a day.  I just wanted to do what I had to do to feel sexy.  So after last Monday's glum post I needed to change.

I went to the gym three days last week.  Three days is the maximum I can go in the mornings before work, due to day care drop-off duties.  Three days is not a number I have hit recently.  I can't remember what I did on Tuesday, not a great work-out, but I was there.  Showing up is half the battle.  I did bootcame on Thursday - love it.  It's so motivating, and the trainer I do it with is great at molding the class to the people who show up.  I felt so motivated after Thursday's workout that I ran - outside - with no one chasing me - on Friday, for FOUR miles! 

I ran four miles.  In a row.  Without stopping.  Pride is sexy.

And then I could barely move the rest of the day because my shin splints are so bad.  They still killed Saturday.  So yesterday, Sunday, I got up, went to the specialty running store, and got fitted for shoes.  If you have never been fitted for a pair of running shoes, drop everything, throw out your current shoes, and go.  It is completely worth the 20 minutes it takes to be matched to your ideal shoe.  There is no charge for the session, and the shoes prices are no higher than any crap sports chain.  I go to my area Fleet Feet; this is a reputable franchise around the country, with great service and selection.  I have a new pair of running shoes, and my shins are thanking me.

I can't wait to go for a run tomorrow morning!