Monday, October 22, 2012

Wagon Wheel

My brother-in-law was napping next to me as I drove yesterday, Gavin and Nate were snoozing behind me in the middle row.  Laura, my niece and sister-in-law were nestled asleep in the back.  It was a quiet drive during my shift, the first leg home after a beautiful wedding in Nashville, TN.  I had XM to keep me company, with Sammy Hagar going on about his "island" of music.

I wasn't really paying attention to him at first, since I just wanted some classic rock to while away the miles in front of me.  But he was saying something about "goosebump" songs: the songs you hear that reach the depths of your soul and give you chills.  I knew exactly what he meant.  I had danced with my precious baby boy to that very song the night before.
So rock me mama like a wagon wheel
Rock me mama anyway you feel
Hey mama rock me
Rock me mama like the wind and the rain
Rock me mama like a south-bound train
Hey mama rock me

 

The song came on somewhere in the middle of some fantastic dancing during the reception.  Right at a point where I was having so much fun, but ready for a little break.  Gavin had been circulating the dance floor, but had just made it back into my arms.  I love that song, with it's sweet lyrics and soft harmony.  But never had it moved  me quite so much as it did on that dance floor.  I sang along , swayed, and quite literally rocked my baby to sleep in my arms. 

 

Some day, my babies will grow up.  They'll fall in love.  They'll get married.  If I'm lucky, their weddings will be as lovely as the three weddings I attended this year.  And one day, I'll be dancing with my baby boy, all grown up, one last time before I hand him off to his beautiful bride.   I smiled and cried as I pictured my fuzzy-headed infant all grown up.  And then I nuzzled his soft cheek and sang some more. 

 

And wouldn't you know it?  Nate was thinking the same thing as I, while he danced with one sleepy flower girl: