Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost! (musings above, spoilers below)

Ok. So I want to discuss Lost. I have watched rather diligently for the last six years. It's hard to believe it's been six years... Six years ago, I was a senior in college, watching a plane crash onto a tropical island with my housemates. I had an awesome boyfriend who I wanted to marry, and had no clue where I'd work after I graduated.

In the time that Lost has been on the air, I've gotten my first job, gotten married, been promoted, started grad school, had a baby, and come within one class (5 more weeks, 9 more class days!) of getting my masters degree. That's a lot. I think about all that I've accomplished, and it's impressive. Also impressive that, with my short attention span, I've been able to mostly follow one TV show.

So what did I think of the ending? I'm still so lost! That show is so aptly named! I've been lost since the very first episode, and even with all the "answers" last night, still have no clue what's going on! Here's what I think happened:

[Spoiler Alert!!!]

Everyone is dead. But they didn’t all die at once, and they were alive on the island. It’s like… they were on the island together, knew they were important to each other, and wanted to spend eternity (heaven) together.

So they decided that after they died, and were in some sort of transitional world between our world and heaven, they would find each other again. Once they were all back together, they would move on to heaven together. I think. So we know how some of them died, but not all of them.

It's all rather Mormon, if you think about it. Going onto Heaven with loved ones... I dunno. But I guess it means that Faith and Destiny won out over Reason and Action.

There are still a lot of loose ends that I was hoping they'd clean up. Um, why was Walt so important with the summoning of animals and everything?! I guess some things we'll just never know...