Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Moms are the best

I was chatting with my mom last night, mostly about how adorable Laura is, and that she keeps waking up at 3:30am (shoot me!)... And then I took a deep breath and said,

I haven't been all that happy lately. Like since the baby was born.

She asked me to elaborate, which I did. I told her about Saturday, and how a few drinks made me feel normal again. And how scary it was to realize that I liked how I felt when I was drunk. And that I don't want to start drinking just to feel like myself.

Because needing alcohol - or any substance - is not healthy, and it's not who I am.

We had to end our conversation because LOST was on (OMFG - did you see it last night?! NUTS!). But I'm really glad I told my mom. She's been incredibly supportive, well, my whole life. But I've only recently started to acknowledge and take advantage of her support. I wasn't always the most open child, but I'm trying really hard now.