Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Re: Counseling - A response

I received a comment on my last post from a reader. I thought about responding in a comment, but then remembered what happened last night to help me decide to stop breastfeeding. No, I didn't just read an article and decide to throw in the towel.

Last night, I had absolutely no milk left. My breasts were sagging halfway to my knees. But it was bedtime, and Laura needed to eat. So I heated up some formula, put it in her favorite bottle with her favorite nipple, and carried both the bottle and Laura upstairs. We got situated on the chair in her room, and Laura started to eat.

She happily stared at me with her big blue eyes as she ate - something she's never done when I breastfeed her. Ever.

She ate the entire bottle without fussing or fidgeting - something she hasn't done when I breastfeed her in at least a month.

She fell asleep in my arms - something she hasn't done since she was three weeks old.

She was just so peaceful, and soft, and warm. And for once I could just enjoy her. I didn't have to worry about squeezing drop after drop of milk into her desperately sucking mouth. I could just hold her and watch as her chest rose and fell. And that is when I decided to quit breastfeeding.

The article I read today just helped me to feel a little better about my decision. And isn't that, ultimately, what the article was about? Making informed decisions? Thank you, Julia, for your comment and allowing me to relive the wonderful mommy moment I had last night. I hope you continue reading!