Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Spirit of Giving

I believe in Santa.  I always have, and I always will.

Ok, I guess I can acknowledge that there (probably) is not a jubilant man sliding down my chimney to leave presents once a year.  But don't try to tell me that Santa doesn't exist.  Because he does.

There is a little Santa in each of us.  Santa is the part of us that makes us hold the door for the person running to catch the elevator.  Santa is what makes us look up into the eyes of the clerk at the cash register, smile, and mean it.  Santa is that little heart string that tugs during the Christmas holidays when we hear about hungry families and children without toys.

Those of us who are fortunate enough deck our halls and speed off to the malls to buy gifts for loved ones.  We plan delicious dinners and bake dozens of cookies.  All the while, the little Santas inside us yearn to behold the magic of Christmas.  December is a special time of year when millions of Santas are set loose, hoping to solve the woes of the world one family at a time.

I recently witnessed the miracle of Santa in my community of fellow MARC riders.  We trudge to work every morning, riding tired trains from Baltimore to DC.  We are usually sleepy in the morning and cranky at night.  While we recognize each other from riding the same trains day in and day out, year after year, we don't often interact with much more than the most basic necessities of good manners.  Except at Christmas.

Every year, MARC joins up with the Marines for one day to raise money and collect gifts for Toys for Tots.  Every year, I am astounded for the outpouring of generosity I see on the morning of the toy drive.  Happy commuters bundle onto the train with bags of toys in hand.  When we arrive at Union Station, we are greeted by (handsome) Marines joyfully caroling and collecting toys and money.  It is a wonderfully happy day.

This year, we commuters were sent an email from MARC after the toy drive had ended:

December 8, 2010 9:38 p.m.


Thank you to all MARC passengers that participated in today's Toys For Tots collection drive. Over 600 toys were donated and, at last count, over $25,000 in donations were collected. We thank you for your generosity to ensure that every child has a happy holiday season!


Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season from MARC Train Service.

Six hundred toys for children less fortunate than my daughter.
Twenty-five thousand dollars raised.  In a single day.

Reading this email over again, I have tears falling from my eyes.  Since December 8th, I have regarded my fellow commuters in a different light.  I am proud to be a MARC commuter.

Merry Christmas, one and all!

This post was written in conjunction with the Red Writing Hood prompt, Charity.