Friday, December 3, 2010

Trapped!

When I read the prompt for this week's Red Writing Hood at Red Dress Club, I almost peed my pants. 
Write flash fiction based on the prompt "Trapped" or "I truly enjoyed spending time with them. I just had to decide which of them I would kill."
I just spent Thanksgiving with my in-laws in an RV.  The ultimate trap where I loved every minute and also wanted to kill all of them.

Wednesday night: I'm sitting on the inside seat of the bench at the little table.  Who let Vinny have chili before we got on this thing?  It stinks and I am trapped.  I can't even move to a different spot on the RV to get a little further from the stench.  I truly enjoy spending time with Vinny, but right now I am trapped and I want to kill him.

Thursday night: I'm sitting at Thanksgiving dinner at the middle of a long table in the dining room.  The wall is close behind me, and the only way to the mashed potatoes is to sidle out of my chair to either side.  Except that I have in-laws on either side of me, none of them willing to sidle out to their sides to let me out.  Trapped.  By in-laws.  Who are holding the mashed potatoes hostage.  I truly enjoy spending time with my in-laws, but right now I am trapped and I just want some mashed potatoes and I want to kill them all.

Friday night: I am on a party bus with lighted floors and stripper poles.  It's been a fun evening of drinking, pole dancing, mechanical bull riding, drinking, and pole dancing.  But now brother-in-law A is cranky and won't let me back on the pole.  If I can't dance all slutty, I want off the bus and away from the cranky mean brother-in-law.  So now I'm cranky too.  And on a moving bus.  Trapped until we arrive back at the house.  I truly enjoy spending time with brother-in-law A (mostly), but right now I am trapped and I want to kill him.

Saturday afternoon: It's been a long weekend and everyone wants to start heading home.  Everyone but brother-in-law B, who wants to watch the end of a football game.  A game in which his team is down 30 points.  He's being all angry and mean and belligerent (thank you, Sparks caffeinated alcohol.), and I just don't want to deal with him.  I take Laura and get on the RV and sit in the back, to stay out of the way.  The family carries the offending brother onto the RV, kicking and screaming.  Literally.  I need to get Laura settled for the long ride, but I do not want to get involved in this family affair in any way.  So I hide in the back.  Trapped.  I truly enjoy spending time with brother-in-law B (mostly), but right now I am trapped and I want to kill him.

I don't think I'll be hopping on any RV's anytime soon.  They are traps and make me murderous.