Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sisters

For a long time growing up, I was the only daughter with two brothers.  One older and one younger.  I constantly felt like they were ganging up on me, even though that could not be further from the truth.  The thing is, it's lonely being the only girl between two brothers with a 4+ year age gap between us.  I just wanted a little sister.  Someone I could gang up with against the boys.  Someone I could play dolls with.  And dress up.  And cover in make-up and nail polish.

When I was in 4th grade, I got a little sister.

It turns out though, that you can't play dolls or dress-up or make-up with a baby.  And by the time my sister was old enough to play dolls and dress-up and make-up, I was in high school and so not interested. 

And by the time I was ready to have a close sisterly, let's tell secrets relationship with my sister, she was in middle and high school and so not interested.  It nearly broke my heart to know that I had a sister that I was not close with.  I just wanted to be able to talk to her like I would a best friend, and have her reciprocate.  I tried from time to time, but you can't force a friendship.  So I waited patiently.

This year, my sister is off at college.  I can hardly believe it, because I still see the little three year old with bright red ringlets, covering herself in costume jewelry.  But she's not a three year old; my sister is a grown-up.  And I feel like we are finally ready for each other.  I have done my best to open up to her this year.  She is the only person IRL who knows about this blog (aside from Hubby, who just doesn't care).  I've been trying to talk to her about how hard it is being a new mom.  I'm trying to treat her like an adult.

To my surprise and delight, my sister is reciprocating!  She has opened up to me in ways I have only dreamed of.  She has emailed me in a panic asking for advice.  She has confided in me.  She trusts me as a friend and confidant.  I have never been happier to have a sister.