Thursday, January 20, 2011

For the Win!

Last night, I plopped Laura down in the center of the family room after we got home from work and school.  The gate was open, so I strolled over and closed it.  Laura saw me heading toward the door, and immediately started "racing" me to it.  She wanted no part of the family room trap that I was creating.

I know, I'm a mean mommy.  I trap my baby in a room filled with toys.  That I expect her to play with.  No fun at all, right?  I mean, who would want to be in a room filled with toys when there are cupboards filled with breakable and dangerous things just beyond the baby gate?

So Laura threw herself at the gate and starting wailing.  Another tantrum.  I felt pretty confident that I could divert her attention from the outlets, however, and sat down next to her "office."  I caught her eye, lifted my finger and pressed the magic button - the one on the phone.  The office chirped an old-fashioned telephone ring, and then broke out in song:

Hello!
The phone is ringing,
So we say Hello!

It's not a long song, but it's catchy!  And usually this song inspires Laura to press more buttons on her office, launching into more freakishly cheerful tunes.  Last night?  The telephone song (which I hear in my head everytime my phone rings) only made Laura scream louder.

I moved over to another of Laura's favorite toys: her kitchen.  I pressed the button on the oven, and DING! The turkey was perfectly cooked, and the kitchen played a cooking show sort of melody.  Laura screamed louder and started shaking the baby gate.

Next stop: the tea set. 
Fisher Price Say Please Tea Set
I love this tea set.  It is adorable and cheery and cute.  And I like tea, ok?  So after the office and kitchen both failed to stop the tantrum, I picked up the teapot and poured myself a spot of tea.  The minute Laura heard the teapot start singing, she let go of the gate, stopped crying, and toddled over to join me.  We enjoyed a very pleasant evening.

Tea really does cure all that ails.