Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why I'm kicking the gym's butt

Friends, I have just begun Week Four of going to the gym.  I went three days a week the first two weeks, two days last week, and am planning on three days this week.  I only missed one day last week because of the snow.  So that's pretty awesome!  I can't say that I actually enjoy going to the gym.  And I still haven't gotten used to getting up so early to do so much.  I'm certainly not getting that endorphine rush quite yet!  But I'm going.  That's the important part.

Just going in the first place was a huge step for me.  It took me a long time to convince myself of a realistic plan for getting in some exercise.  Continuing to go the second, third and now fourth weeks is another big step.  I have a tendency to start out strong with something, only to falter quickly.  This is why I never finish projects; I set too high of goals for myself.  Except this time, I was realistic.  I originally planned on just two days a week.  By the end of day two in my first week, I knew I'd be going a third day.  This schedule is working for me, and I have no excuses (except snow) to stay away from the gym.

Well, maybe I do have one excuse: my knee is killing me.  Throbbing, intense pain.  I have never had the greatest knees - they are the kind that make weird popping noises everytime I bend down.  They've been doing that since I was nine, so it never really bothered me.  But now that I'm trying to lose a few pounds, the treadmill is just killing me.

In the past, I would have used this as my excuse to quit going to the gym.  My knee hurts, I don't want it to get worse, so I'll just stop going.  This time, though.  This time is different.  Instead of quitting altogether, I am adjusting my workout.  I'm using the (boring) elliptical instead of jogging on the treadmill.  I'm focusing on leg exercises and stretching to strengthen the muscles around my knee.  I know I can work through this.  If I can never get on the treadmill again, that will suck, but at least I am at the gym.

I am kicking the gym's butt.  And my perky butt is the visual proof!