Saturday, January 1, 2011

KABOOM!

That is the sound of my head exploding as I look at my house.  The house that looks, well, like a bomb went off.  Nate, Laura Riesling and I returned home from our adventures yesterday.  We threw, literally threw, all our poorly-packed crap into the entry and then collapsed on the couch for naps.

Well, Nate and Riesling tried to nap while Laura refused to do anything but play noisily.  And I dozed while brownies baked in the oven.  Because I love to bake for fun... NOT!

We arrived home a little after 1pm.  We were picked up by friends to celebrate the new year with a few other friends at 5:30.  I hadn't showered yet.  I hadn't shaved in a week.  I hadn't worn contact lenses in nearly two weeks.  And I wasn't really in the mood for anything other than snuggling in my jammies under my new blankie.

On the other hand, we celebrated the close of 2010 with our best friends - babies in tow.  We all had babies - two boys and two girls - in 2010.  They already know each other and play together like best friends should.  We parents sat on the couch while we watched our children - the first of many - play so sweetly.  The babies were snuggled into their pack and plays so sweetly asleep by 8:30, and we spent most of the evening talking about how much fun we are having watching them grow.  Nate and I woke Laura to ring in 2011.  I can't remember a better new year celebration.

So as I look around my house, with clothes thrown all over, toys in dangerous piles on the floor, I am not even upset with the mess.  That mess reminds me of the wonderful holiday I spent with my family in NYC (by way of a drive through MD, DE, and NJ), Massachusetts (through CT), Vermont (through NH), and Pennsylvania (through MA, CT, and NY) before finally heading home again.  It was a lot of driving, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

That said, my personal maid can show up any time now to clean everything up for me.  Any time.  I'm tapping my foot waiting.  Where IS that maid?  I thought that was on my Christmas Wish List!  Alas...