Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Three seconds to total meltdown

3...

I spent all day at home with Laura, content to stay inside after the ice storm that hit the East Coast.  It reminded me of the first few weeks Laura was with us.  It was cold outside, but we were cozy inside.  Except yesterday was a bit different from last year.  For one thing, Laura was walking, toddling and crawling all over the living room.  For another, she wanted whatever I had in my hand.  Which meant I couldn't enjoy a hot cup of tea or cocoa during Regis and Kelly. 

2...

Another difference from last year is that Laura has decided she only needs one nap.  And that nap is in the afternoon.  Which means that she was fairly cranky most of the morning.  It also means I never got to take a shower.  So now I am without a hot drink and unshowered - I took a shower everyday last year.  While Laura napped.  Which was frequently.
1...

Last year, when Laura was cranky, I could just lay her down.  She'd drift off to sleep and wake up as happy as a newborn can be.  Yesterday when Laura was cranky, she'd throw herself down on the floor, kick her legs, flail her arms, and scream.

MELTDOWN!

Laura isn't even a year old yet.  She has a minimal vocabulary, at best.  I have no idea what she wants on a good day.  During a tantrum?  Not a clue.  And are one year olds even supposed to throw tantrums?  Kicking and flailing tantrums?  I had no idea this would start so soon.  What am I supposed to do?  Help!

PS - did I tell you she's walking?  She's walking!