Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Told You So

Four words.  They feel so good to say... and do absolutely nothing to help any situation.  I can't think of a time in my life when saying, "I told you so!" ever did anything but inspire bitterness.  But I'm sitting here at my desk at work, having just gotten off the phone with my mother-in-law and all I can think to say is, "I told you so."

I just knew it.  I knew from the first moment I heard that she was lending her car to my BIL's trainwreck of a girlfriend that it was a bad idea.

I just knew if.  I know from the first time I met my BIL's trainwreck of a girlfriend that she was a bad idea. 

But what good would it do for me to say that?  To tell them that I knew all along that disaster was coming?  Nothing.  I would isolate myself from them, when what they really need is a little support.  A little bit of "OMG that sucks but we'll get through it."  I'm already an outsider to their family.  Telling them what I really think?  Would not help anything.

Which is why I'm just keeping my damn mouth shut.  If I can't say anything nice, I won't say anything at all.  And they wonder why I'm such a quiet person.