Friday, August 12, 2011

Nothing Missed

For a while now, I've been obsessed with replacing the family room rug.  I hate the one in there now.  It's old, dingy, and has never matched anything in that hodge-podge room.  When I get stressed, I become increasingly obsessed with replacing the damn rug.  It's got to go.

I was a bit stressed yesterday.  My husband's family was dealing with yet another stupid crisis (not serious, no worries), which meant my MIL had to rush home in the middle of the day yesterday, taking Laura with her.  When I arrived home after work I found a series of half-finished chores waiting for me to finish.  The biggest of these was the alphabet floor mat, all neatly piled in the sink for washing.

I looked at the pile.  I looked at my family room, currently devoid of the primary colored alphabet.  I marveled over the beautiful honey-colored wood floors around the perimeter of the room, hidden from sight for nearly a year now.  I looked at the pile again and made my decision. The mat is gone.  I cleaned each tile and carefully tucked the bunch away in the basement for some future purpose. 

Suddenly, I see my family room in a new light.  It's a large space with plenty of room for toys, play and family.  The rug is still hideous, but it serves as a soft cushion for tea parties and puzzles.  I still want to replace it, someday.  But for now, I'm just happy to leave it alone.