Thursday, February 9, 2012

L-O-V-E

I'm not feeling well today, but couldn't stay home because I have no sick leave.  And I need to save that stuff for May and my maternity leave.  But I saw this cute little link-up, and thought I could handle it!

1. How long have you and your significant other been together?

Nate and I met in March of 2002 - nearly ten years ago!  We have done a lot of growing up together.

 

2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}

We met when I was up visiting my older brother's close friend from high school.  I was going to college in Virginia at the time, far from home, and was eager to spend time with anyone at all in the area that I knew from home.  Chris was in Baltimore, and my brother wanted me to date him anyway (no clue why), so we planned a visit.  I arrived at Chris' apartment a little early, but his roommate was home.  No one told me his roommate was hot.  That was it for me.  I wouldn't call it love-at-first-sight, but something in my brain clicked and told me this guy was going to be important in my life.  For the record, Chris and I are very close friends to this day, and we would have made a terrible couple!

 

3. If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? {do tell}

Nate and I were married on a very hot, humid day in July 2007.  It was one of the funnest days of my life!

 

4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding?  If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small?

We were married in the church where my parents, aunts and uncles were married, the same church where my older brother and I were baptized.  That was really special for me.  It's a gorgeous church, but thick with family history.  We had our reception in my parent's yard.  My mom's gardens were in full summer bloom, with Cape Cod blue hydrangeas EVERYWHERE.  It was exactly what I wanted.

 

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!

Does Poophead count?  I mostly call Nate "hunny."  I'm aware of the misspelling.  Haven't you ever read Winnie the Pooh?  I call him Nathan when I am teasing or trying to get his attention.  Nate calls me "Babe," but also Cait or Caitlin.

 

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.

He's still one of the hottest guys I know.  He's can always get me to laugh, no matter what mood I'm in.  He looks me right in the eyes with this smile - I can't describe it... but it's so him and so perfect.

 

7. Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?

Nate was trying to surprise me with a hot air balloon ride, during which he planned to propose.  But during our 4 pm dinner before the trip, the balloonist called to cancel.  So we were in the middle of nowhere, eating dinner at 4 pm, with no further plans.  Nate proposed just as our dinner was arriving.  His opening line was "So, I really love you [pause]" during which all I could think was, "Wait - is he proposing or dumping me?!"  When he pulled out the box with the ring, I completely lost all sense of propriety, grabbed the box, put the ring on, and nodded yes.  So much for a graceful answer!

 

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?

Never flowers, but definitely teddy bears and likely a bottle of wine.  But probably not ON Valentine's Day, because we can all agree that prices are completely inflated this time of year. 

 

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?

Neither?  Both?  I like going out to dinner in a pretty dress... then coming home jammies, more wine, and a movie.

 

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?

Nate and I are planning a rafting trip to Chile... someday... The same week we met, Nate read an article in Men's Health about this one rafting trip.  He cut it out and pinned it to his bathroom wall.  We've been talking about this trip for ten years.  I've only been rafting once, but that one trip was enough to tell me I WANT TO GO!  We are saving our credit card travel miles for this one trip. 

 

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day.

On actual Valentine's Day?  I'll probably make a somewhat fancy dinner for the three of us at home, and maybe have a small glass of red wine.  We try to avoid going out ON Valentine's Day, since the restaurants are so busy and the menus are so expensive.  We might go out for dinner this weekend (with Laura) to celebrate in advance.

 

12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?

Peace on Earth.  And maybe some Valentine M&Ms.

 

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.

Honesty.  Nate and I are incredibly open with each other, which means we can work through issues before they become problems.  I might vent about Nate or various issues here on this blog, but we work through everything together.

 

14.  Show us a picture of what love means to you.