Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Laura



No matter how old Laura gets, I always think of the first time I saw her.  I wasn't able to hold her for the longest time.  It felt like ages (and was probably 20 minutes).  I had waited 9 months to see her, and now she was all the way across the room receiving urgent care I couldn't provide.  But now that she was breathing and just fine, what did she look like?   What sort of person was my daughter?

Nate took the picture on the left to show me.  That picture was the first time I saw my daughter.  The image is fused in my memory as who Laura is: determined, strong, a little stubborn, and absolutely beautiful.

Laura has grown and evolved so much over the past two years, as any child should.  There are the obvious differences in size and hair, but so much has remained the same.  My daughter is still one determined little girl.  She has a strong personality, which so far shows as a loyalty to her friends.  Laura is entirely stubborn, but she comes by that trait honestly.  And yes, Laura is beautiful.  (What kind of mother would I be if I didn't believe that?)