Thursday, April 26, 2012

36 Weeks

Remember a couple of months ago, when I kept getting really emotional and touchy about my hugeness?  I seem to have turned a corner.  Now I'm the one making jokes about my size.  I AM THAT ENORMOUS.

I shared an elevator with a very tall couple this morning.  We got on, did the head nod acknowledgement, and moved on.  The wife randomly pointed out the elevator's specs to the husband, focusing on the 2500 pound capacity.  The husband thought we'd be ok.  I looked up from the ground where I was politely staring and said, "I dunno!  I might be pushing it!"  I got off the elevator with a smile on my face, and a hand on my tummy.

So here I am, at 36 weeks pregnant with my second.  I'm a hot mess of nesting emotions.  Sunday night, I was perched on the edge of the tub, cleaning the shower head.  Because that's obviously really important to clean once every five years.  Monday night, I couldn't finish the grocery shopping because of some fierce waves of tightening and pain that had me panicked that I needed to rush off to L&D.  I'm convinced he's coming early.  I'm also convinced he's coming late.

The pros to an early baby: He'd be that much older for this summer, with a jam-packed schedule of weekend trips, flights to Seattle, and me needing to leave him overnight for various reasons.

The cons to an early baby: My mom wouldn't be able to fly down in the middle of the night to join me at the hospital.  I didn't realize how much I wanted my mom with me during Laura's birth until I saw her walk in the room just after my epidural was placed.  I'm pretty emotionally set on having her there again.  I would like to skip the part where my father-in-law was also in the room.

The pros to a late baby: Um... I'd have more time at work...?  Laura might be closer to being potty-trained...?

The cons to a late baby: He'd be that much younger for this summer, with a jam-packed schedule of weekend trips, flights to Seattle, and me needing to leave him overnight for various reasons.

So in actuality, I hope he's right on time.  Just like his big sister.  I have my first internal exam tomorrow morning, so I'll be sure to update if I'm holy-moly-4cm-dilated or something crazy.  I'm probably high and tight, and just making up contractions in my head.