Monday, April 9, 2012

I just need more sugar

At one point yesterday, between Mass and Easter Dinner, my MIL asked if Laura could have some marshmallows.  Sure, since I was a little peckish myself and MARSHMALLOWS.  Yum.  Laura had a few, and continued her painting. 

She finished painting, and asked for "potato."  I spent a good five minutes trying to figure out what the heck she wanted to do with a potato, since I'm pretty sure they haven't started carving potato stamps at school yet.  Turns out, she wanted to play with her PLAY-DOH.  Duh to me.

Another hour later, we're now finished with painting and Play-Doh and a few minutes out from Easter dinner.  I look over and find my MIL pouring a veritable mountain of marshmallows out for Laura to eat.  Um, lady?  I'd like Laura to eat some dinner of actual food.

After all that sugar, she did not eat any dinner of any actual food.

So let's fast forward to a few hours later.  Laura has missed her nap.  She has eaten marshmallows and jelly beans for dinner.  She has been completely 100% wound up by her adoring fans aunts and uncles.  She's exhausted, crashing from the sugar, and weepy.  Fun, yes?

As I get my poor, exhausted toddler strapped into her carseat for the ride home, she looks up at me and wails, "I JUST NEED MORE SUGAR!"  She fell asleep 5 seconds later.  Today, as I wallow through the Mondays, I keep thinking to myself that just a little more sugar is all I need.  Just one more sip of sugary sweet goodness.  One more bite of chocolate will get me through the morning.  I just need more sugar.  Don't we all!