Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ready

It's funny how life works.  This afternoon, I was contemplating a post on Gavin's "nursery" and how getting ready for a second baby is so different than getting ready for the first.  As the words for that post floated around my head, a coworker asked the question:

Are you ready?

I chuckled a little before I answered.  Yeah, I guess so.  I have a crib and a carseat.  It's not like I'll ever be "ready" for Gavin to arrive.  His arrival is going to knock me off my ever loving feet.  I'll never be ready to meet my son.

Am I ready to be not pregnant?  I've been ready for that for not-quite 34 weeks.  I might be good at getting and staying pregnant.  But I am definitely not good at being pregnant.

Is our house ready for another baby?  As much as it was ready for the first.  Meaning, our house is a dusty disaster with tumbleweeds of dog fur wafting at will.  I always have big plans for cleaning and preparing... and then never quite get around to it.

Is Gavin's room ready?  Well, yeah!  Check that one off the list!  Funny thing, I decorated that room over two years ago for his big sister.  We've rearranged a few things, but since they're sharing the room not much has changed.

There are a few things I'd still like to do:

  • Dig out the infant swing, bouncer and cradle;

  • Find a home for Gavin's tiny little clothes;

  • Which means going through our linens and donating much of them to Planet Aid and our vet;

  • Wash the tiny little clothes before getting them set up in their new home;

  • Wash the carseat liner;

  • Install the carseat bases in our cars;

  • Possibly even buy a "mom" car, since my beloved Civic isn't big enough for two carseats and a 50-pound dog


Nothing on that list HAS to happen before Gavin arrives, which I guess means we are ready.  I did switch out the pink sheet on the crib mattress for a blue sheet, should Gavin decide he's ready to meet the world.  Ready?  Sure.