Friday, April 27, 2012

MacArthur Park

One of the most embarassing (and hilarious) memories of my childhood took place in 7th grade during Spring Break.  My parents took my older brother and me on a special trip to England for the week, leaving the younger two at home with my grandmother.  I was outfitted with a brand new wardrobe for the occassion, which left me feeling incredibly grown-up.  We flew into Heathrow, rented a car, and drove through the English countryside taking tea at every opportunity.

But we were also in a rented car for most of a week.  My dad drove, with my mom sitting in front and my brother and I sharing the backseat.  It was a fantastic way to take in the breathtaking views of the country.  It was also a great way to experience English radio.  Which left much to be desired. 

One particular afternoon, my dad played around with the stations for a few minutes when suddenly the car was filled with... I guess it was music.  MacArthur Park.  With my parents belting out the song in their "best" operatic voices. 

Please keep in mind that I don't think I'd ever heard this song in my life, and here my two parents were singing as loudly and terribly as they could.  My brother and I started pounding on the windows of the car, in hopes that some passerby on the lonely British road would take pity and save us from our crazy parents.  Seemingly 2 hours later (maybe 7 minutes? It's a looooong song), MacArthur Park finally came to its dramatic finish, with my parents' operatic warbling at its loudest. 

I swore right then and there in that car that I would never be as weird or embarassing as my parents.  Ahem.

Last weekend, Laura left a donut-filled paper bag in the "trunk" of her Cozy Coupe at Grandma's the other day.  Laura remembered the donut a few hours later and wanted to eat it.  However, in the hours between forgetting and remembering the donut, there had been a torrential downpour.  The bag had disintegrated around the melted donut.  It was disgusting.  Laura was devastated.  I burst into song:

Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again!!! OH NO!!!!

Laura wasn't amused.  But I was!  Isn't it awesome, becoming the very parent you swore you'd never be?  I love it.