Friday, April 20, 2012

Cubicle Nesting

Before I even got to the National Mall on Tuesday to thoroughly exhaust myself, I was already feeling crampy and uncomfortable.  I was clearly dehydrated, but was facing a morning without a bathroom.  I kept myself dehydrated and ignored the discomfort.  By the time I got back to my desk, I was miserable.  I just couldn't recover from the combination of dehydration and two hours of walking and standing on the Mall.

So I did what any logical pregnant woman in her third trimester would do.  I panicked.  Not in the OMG rush me to the ER sort of way, but almost.  I texted Nate to let him know I was feeling really, really awful, with semi-regular crampy squeezy contractions, complete with head butts to the cervix.  I mentioned the same to a few close co-workers, just in case, and I started packing up my desk.

I printed on-going projects.  I moved files to my personal external hard drive.  I 409'ed the heck out of my desk.  Everything that could stay at work was tidy.  Everything I could take home to work on was in a tote bag.  I left at 3:00, letting my boss know I needed a nap and wasn't sure I'd be in the next day.

Clearly my biggest problem on Tuesday was too little water and too much exertion.  However, I can't shake the feeling that Gavin is antsy to make his arrival.  I haven't quite gotten the nesting bug at home, but only in part because I'm too tired after work and I haven't been home on a weekend in a long time.  However, I can rest easy knowing my cubible is squared away.  I have a stash of work at home, and a little cache in a tote bag I've been taking back and forth each day.  In the event of pre-term labor, at least I know my work-self is nested and ready.

My first internal exam is a week from today.  I'm very curious.