Thursday, January 7, 2010

Nesting

No, I have not started cleaning my house like some sort of deranged germaphobe neat-freak (no offense to anyone!). I mean, I've been trying to be tidier. I've had spurts where I've gone nutty over bleaching the kitchen. And my cubicle at work is neat as a pin. But I have not yet experienced that pregnant phenomenon known as "nesting."

I have experienced nesting of a different sort. That of actually creating a little nest for myself in bed each night. I can truly tell you how it feels to be Big Bird, all cuddled in for the night in his nest on Sesame Street. Every night I build a little nest of my own.

I start with my "special" pillow on top of a regular pillow for my head. I got my special pillow when I was little. Call me crazy for sleeping with a decades old feather pillow, but it's just right for me. This makes a nice little cloud for my head.

Next, I shove a big, fat, puffy pillow under the covers. This one goes in between my knees. I'm really not sure how I slept without it before I was pregnant! It might just be a permanent fixture in my bed...

I add a small bolster, courtesy of the guest bed. This one lines up parallel with my back as I start off the night on my left side. It makes a great support in case I try to roll onto my back. It also just makes me feel all snug and secure. The bolster serves another purpose as it makes up for the serious sag toward the middle of the bed!

The final pillow is a brand new feather pillow (given by Hubby with thoughts of replacing the special one. He doesn't get it), which is very plush and poofy. This pillow is the coup de grace of my little nest. I hug this pillow tight into my body, with just a little tucked under my tummy for support. And sometimes around my boobs to support them too. This big, puffy pillow makes me feel completely snugged in for the night.

I have always heard that it's impossible to sleep during the last trimester. Maybe I'm jinxing myself by saying this, but I have not found this to be the case. With my little nest of pillows, I am sleeping better than ever before. Which is great, because I hear I'll need all the rest I can get pretty soon!