Thursday, April 7, 2011

Government Shutdown 2011

I'm not a federal employee (holla trust fund!), which means in the increasingly likely event of a government shutdown beginning at midnight tomorrow, I would still have to get to show up for work on Monday.  But I work in a federal building, which means in the increasingly likely event of a government shutdown beginning at midnight tomorrow, I would not be able to get to my desk on Monday. 

Beyond the personally tragedy of not being able to work (and not getting paid for missing work - the irony), this shutdown is a terrifying prospect.  Did you know that none of the national museums or parks would be open during this time?  It's the peak tourist season for Washington, DC.  There are already thousands of people in the city, hoping to participate in the Cherry Blossom Festival this weekend.  Thousands of people have already purchased tickets to special events at various museums - that they won't be able to attend.  I work at one of these museums.  This isn't good.

To date, I haven't been taking this shutdown very seriously.  Because it was so far out in the future and they kept extending the grace period.  Because I am trust employee and would still come to work and receive a paycheck.  Because, I mean really, they were going to agree on a budget in time, right?  But today, on the eve of the potential shutdown, it's really starting to sink in. 

This shutdown is petty and disastrous.  Would I love to have more time to play with Laura and get my house properly organized?  Sure.  But I'd also like to get paid.  I'd also like the visitors to this beautiful city to be able to experience our fantastic museums.  I'd also like to trust in my government to move past partisanship to focus on the needs of the people.  I'm scared.