Wednesday, April 20, 2011

There's a plan for that

It's a little ironic that I'm terrified of death, and yet I am married to a man who deals with death in his profession every single day.  No, I'm not married to a mortician or a funeral director. Nate doesn't perform autopsies, he's not a crime scene investigator.

Nate is a Certified Financial Planner. He sells life insurance. Rather than death, "life" is the name of his game.  At the most basic level, Nate's job is to ask his clients, "Can you take care of your family after you're gone."

Someday, sooner or later, one of Nate's clients will move onto whatever is next, and Nate will deliver a policy to the grieving family.  Usually, thinking of death makes me upset.  But when I think of what Nate does, reaching out to families to make sure they can live their lives to the fullest, I feel hopeful.  I feel as though there are people out there, in this world, making sure we are doing alright.  And if we can live to the fullest while we are here on Earth, we can go to whatever is next without worrying (too much) about the loved ones we leave behind.

Sure, I hate the long hours.  I hate never knowing what the paycheck will be that month.  I hate that Nate is always working, every day, every night - even taking phone calls when we are out.  But what kind of Financial Planner would Nate be if he didn't make himself 100% available to his clients?  Which is why I support him entirely, and do whatever I can to make his job a little easier.  And of course, Financial Planning is not just life insurance - it's making the most of your money so you can achieve your goals. 

Want to send your kids to college?  There's a plan for that.  Want to buy a boat?  There's a plan for that.  Want to go on vacation, secure long-term care funding, and leave college funds for your grandchildren?  There's a plan for that, and Nate's your guy.

Life is too important.  If you haven't already, start talking to your loved ones about saving, investing and planning.  It's never too early - or too late - to start planning.