Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy Monday!

I'm back at work today, which couldn't make me happier.  Seriously, I have never been more happy to be at work on a Monday.  Thank you, government, for passing a budget!  I get to come to work!

Which means all those wonderful home-organization projects I was planning to do this week while the government was shut down are not going to happen.  But really, being able to be at work is the best excuse ever to NOT do house work.  And I have gotten a lot of organization done anyway.  Thank you, Lent.  Purple Heart is picking up 8 trash bags and 3 boxes of donations this morning, and my bathroom has never been more tidy.

But I'm not blogging today about my house or the government.  I'm blogging about me and my wonderful weekend.  I spent the weekend with one of my best friends in the whole wide world.  Laura stayed home with Nate, and I went out for a girl's night.  And it was fantastic!

For one, I was able to enjoy a few drinks without getting completely shit-faced like I have on recent outings.  I was mindful of my intake, slowly enjoyed my wine, and remembered to drink lots of water.  I was having fun while drinking responsibly.  And I was rewarded by NOT being a warmer shade of death the next day.  I drank just enough to laugh, a lot.  Oh my god, did we laugh!  We stayed out till the bars closed, and then stayed up till nearly 4am.  We gossipped and chatted.  And laughed.  We were completely inappropriate.  We were those girls laughing down the street in the wee hours of the morning telling naughty jokes.  It was fantastic.  And much needed.

About halfway through the evening, I noticed that I was excited to talk about Laura to my friends and acquaintances at dinner.  When asked how is Laura, I skipped my automatic response of "she's great! I love her!" which always felt so fake and forced.  When asked, my answer was:

Oh, Laura!  She is just so much fun these days.  Busy, busy and into everything.  I just love watching her play - she's so imaginative!  I had no idea that a fourteen-month-old would already play pretend.

I had trouble getting myself to stop talking about Laura.  And that felt really good.  It was a turning point for me, to realize that I truly enjoy my daughter.  I truly enjoy expounding on the wonderfulness of my daughter.  I truly enjoy being a mom.  It was a wonderful weekend.